Monday, November 24, 2008

neo-luddite blogging dinosaur (or confessions of a facebook virgin)

It's true. I do not have a Facebook page, nor have I ever visited anyone else's (because you have to have to "sign up" first).

Oh, the shame.

I suppose as a regular member of society (?!) I could be forgiven for such an infraction. There are still a few of us around. But as everyone knows, "indie musicians" like myself are held to a higher standard. Our expertise and commitment to all-things-online-social-networking is apparently the key to our survival and cutting-edge-ness in this new digital age.

It gets worse. I also don't have a myspace page... I don't have any photos on flickr... or videos on YouTube... and on top of the various automatic e-mails asking if I want to become someone's facebook "friend" I am now reliably informed that I should be on Twitter, and Ning, and Ping (or is it "Pong"?)...

And to think, 5 years ago I thought it was pretty neat to have a website of my own. And then beginning a blog, I thought, put me right on the forefront of the foot-dragging late-adopter wave of the digital revolution.

But now it's getting kind of lonely out here, as more and more of the folks who started blogging around the same time as me have long since migrated over to facebook and who-knows-how-many-subsequent-generations-of-social-networking-technology where it seems I can't even read any of their stuff without "signing up" or something...

Hey, I miss you guys! Why don't you come back for a visit sometime? Oh, I understand. You need to keep up with all your new facebook friends now. That's ok. Really.

In the meantime, I'll just keep puttering along over here... you know where to find me if you ever have time to come back for a visit. I know it isn't much. But it's home.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

No facebook for me either. having a facebook account leaves you open to any and all Google searches by your name, and I think you'd want your web page to come up before some flippant comment to a "friend."

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

Ahhh... Hadn't even really thought of that one. Thanks, Brenda.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Colleen McCubbin said...

Bryan, I'm a new friend and I'll follow your progress with an RSS feed on my iGoogle home-page (with a lovely Asian background, btw).

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Charleen said...

it's actually quite easy to modify privacy settings on facebook and not be 'googled' for your wall comments to a friend. But that said, point taken. I'll read your blog more often. but blogs are more public, in my opinion, than facebook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home