Wednesday, October 24, 2007

they're on to us!

It seems that word of our little experiment with an "alternative economic model" is beginning to get around... have a look at the articles here and here...

I just finished reading the new book by Paul Hawken (author of "The Ecology of Commerce" among others) - this one is called "Blessed Unrest: How The Largest Movement in the World Came Into Being And Why No One Saw It Coming." More and more of these kinds of books are coming out - the next one on my list is "The Geography of Hope: A Tour of the World We Need" by Chris Turner. And a number of years ago I read (and have been enormously influenced by) David Suzuki and Holly Dressel's "Good News For A Change: Hope For A Troubled Planet."

Story upon story, example upon example, of people, communities, businesses of all kinds taking concrete and creative steps toward living in ways that are more sustainable and better for the earth. We need to tell and hear and celebrate more of these stories, it seems to me, and to help our children to see themselves as joyful and ingenuous partners and co-conspirators in this kind of process, this "movement" if you want to call it that.

I have blogged about this before, but it seems to me that this is also an opportunity for the church to re-discover and embrace its vocation.

In the inimitable words of Pete Seeger (inimitable, but paraphrased from my memory because I can't find the quote):

They can stop any old big idea they want to. But what are they going to do about 10,000 little ones?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home