Wednesday, October 11, 2006

becoming the change

A few months before we moved to Stouffville, I discovered that some neighbours down the street had yerba mate (a traditional green tea of Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina) every afternoon from 3:30 to 4:30. Their friends and family all knew they were welcome, any day they happened to be around or felt like stopping by, and there would always be tea and conversation.

After joining in a few times I thought to myself: “What would this world be like if we all stopped for an hour, every afternoon, and drank tea, and talked with one another…?” And, recalling some wise words (“You must become the change you wish to see in the world” – Gandhi; “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single… um…coffee…” – Confucius, I think…), I decided then and there to make a change. To transform my life and the world around me.

To make conversation and hot beverages more of a priority.

So far, so good. There are various people with whom I have coffee regularly, and for whom I am very grateful... Last night I enjoyed conversation with some folks that get together now and then to talk about things musical, artistic, and churchly (though I didn’t so much enjoy the four and a half hours it took me to get home… traffic on the 401… don’t ask) … My son and I sit down for a snack and conversation when he gets home from school…

But I’ve had much less success finding someone close by who enjoys yerba mate. My spouse, for example, says it tastes like hay.

What happens when “the change you wish to see” tastes like hay?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happens when “the change you wish to see” tastes like hay? - Take her to Argentina, of course!

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the good ol' mateh time at Oma and Opas. I miss it everyday. See you tomorrow at your concert. What time does it start?? :)

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

Hey Andrea - glad you recognized your family! Shall I bring the guampa and bombilla they gave me, and we can enjoy some yerba mate tomorrow? Actually, embarrassingly enough, I'm not even sure what time the concert is... I'm leading worship in the morning service, and doing a concert in the afternoon, and I guess I never asked... but my guess is 2:00 pm? Or maybe 3:00? Maybe you could call Preston MC and find out...?

Sorry that's not much help... but I hope to see you then (whenever "then" might be...)!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it taste like hay? Is there some reason you haven't invited me to try this tea? Would it be easier for you if I invited you for tea instead of coffee?

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

Henry, I didn't know you cared! (About yerba mate, that is...)

I joyfully consume both tea and coffee... but I'm afraid it would be a bit disorienting at this point if we changed past practice and "went out for tea" rather than "coffee..." But hey, I'm willing to change, if need be. And it sounds like you're willing to try the yerba as well... Don't say I didn't warn you...

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that Yarba tasted like hay, too. Erich Hirschfeld introduced it to me back when I was working at Moose Lake. To appease the neophyte tongues, he added some lemonade crystals. It just tasted like sweet lemons sitting in hay...

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan and folks,

Adding real lemon and sugar to the herba does make a difference but I was enculturated in the art of drinking the stuff with great new friends in Argentina and it was a wonderful way to pass the time with great conversation and also usually with cookies! However one time in Des Moines we had some Guatemalan guests and I shared some with them and they definitly preferred coffee. I ended up drinking all of it and couldn't sleep that night because of all the cafiene. So beware if you want some sleep!

Do I need a password Bryan?

Gary Guthrie

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

Thanks for the tips, Gary...

I assume your question about the "password" is referring to the first delivery of new songs via the SmallTall Music website. Yes, you'll need a password - I'll send it to you and all the other members when everything is up and ready. Just sent in the last (I hope!) revisions this morning, so hopefully you'll be getting your password and singing some new tunes very soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home